Thursday, September 20, 2007

the postcards i never sent

I fell in love with you
in Paris.
At the foot of that tower,
over the cityscape.
the steps at Montmarte.
The man outside the postcard shop
played our song.
and it was the first time i heard it.

I fell in love with you
in Florence,
There were sunsets over bridges,
a river in every town,
and an artist in Rome,
who may have been
you in your thousandth lifetime.

I fell in love with you
in Jungfrau,
the snow melting into
poems on my palms,
while the mountains stood
stubborn as you sometimes do.

I fell in love with you
in Amsterdam,
Tracing Sunflowers and a mad genius
with my senses,
Dodging bicycles and clouds,
laughing at things you said
miles ago.

Miles ago.

I look back at you miles ago.

whisper by breath,
praying the missives of a child,
catching the wind in the net of my fingers,
pushing my supplications to meld with the air.
Blowing away this spirit bolus to find you.

I fell in love with you.
In the Piazzas, Platze and Pleins,
up the stairs of millenia and down the slopes of
a warm hill in Beaujolais.

I fell in love with you.

Miles ago.

5 comments:

That Mash Guy said...

beautiful.

what's funny is I fell out of love, with weed in Amsterdam. Well after Amsterdam.

It was never the same again :-(

We'll always have amsterdam baby!

Hasina Suliman said...

This reminds me...
he still owes me postcards from sweden! :(

. said...

Very well-written, This one is the most beautiful poem I have ever read.

Anonymous said...

*tingles in happiness*
:)

S.L. Corsua said...

A poem with a strong sense of place such as this is truly memorable for me. In a strange way, it is both dreamy (given its romantic undertones) and real (for the familiarity of some of the places mentioned).

Thank you for sharing it. Cheers.